Organization and Role Background:
The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. Research indicates that psychedelics have the potential to be a breakthrough in treating PTSD, depression, addiction, and other conditions. MAPS has worked for over 30 years toward paving the way for education and legalization of such breakthrough medicines. MAPS is committed to bringing these healing modalities to the world and providing them in such a way that communities that most need mental health resources have access to them.
The Financial Controller role will be an instrumental player in ensuring that our internal org structures are in place to support the changes that will evolve as our organization experiences dramatic growth and changes over the coming months and years. It calls for someone that is comfortable bringing order to chaos and appreciates a dynamic, proactive, startup type of environment where creative thinking and teamwork drive solutions. This person will be responsible for setting the tone for an inclusive work environment within the finance department and throughout the organization as they engage and relate cross-departmentally.
Why Work For MAPS?
At MAPS, we value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome applicants who thrive in a growing organization that values science and healing.
We believe in diversity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, educational backgrounds, arrest or conviction record, military and veteran status, religions, abilities, and perspectives. MAPS values and seeks applicants who are people of color, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid. MAPS strives to continually improve upon the supportive, equitable, and accessible work environment.
MAPS is a dispersed workforce that offers full-time employment in a remote work environment. We are committed to conscious leadership and an inclusive team dynamic. Our culture is one of mutual respect, responsibility, and trust. Our employees’ health and happiness are priorities, and we treat our staff like people, not numbers on a spreadsheet.
MAPS is at the forefront of changing the way mental health issues are treated and is committed to bringing dignity and access to overcoming mental health challenges through the conscious use of psychedelics. We believe we are changing the world, and we want you to be a part of it.
Learn more about MAPS:
- At least 5 years of Controller experience preferably with nonprofit experience
- An MBA or CPA or equivalent is also highly desirable
- Strong financial and accounting background, including a detailed understanding of monthly financial statements, fund accounting, cash flow forecasting and management, budgeting and planning, general finance and accounting staff management
- Experience with corporate governance
- Experience with complex technology systems including ERP and CRM
- Proven negotiation skills
- Experience with budget management, annual audits, and financial statement consolidation for a multi-entity organization
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust
- Understands how to create an inclusive work environment
- Has a knack for bringing or order to chaos and thrives in fast-changing work environments
- Thrives in diverse teams with people from all walks of life
- Interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and written
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP and FASB standards and regulatory requirements
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and private/ foundation grants
- Ensures best practices, efficiency of resources and processes, and risk reduction are high priority
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Maintains and creates financial dashboards, weekly, monthly and annual reporting to management and the board
- Oversees monthly reconciliations, manages cash balance and cash flow, and oversees accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by filing financial reports filing sales tax, and governance reports to appropriate agencies
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning tasks to direct reports within the department, following up on work results
- Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Fiscal and management and oversight for 30+ Fiscal sponsorships
- Responsible for all audit and 990 prep and support to outside contractors
- Responsible for coming in and assessing our current systems and advising on changes and implementing those changes
- Hiring and training new team members
- Create a cohesive working environment within the finance team
- Relates to the entire staff and is able to lead trainings and create buy-in from staff to ensure everyone is following protocols set forth by finance department
- Communicate and collaborate with key players, internal and external staff
- Check in regularly with supervisor and complete assignments by agreed deadline
- Document processes and provide regular updates
- Proactively seek methods of improvement, streamlining workflows and building efficiencies in individual work and project outcomes
- Experience using Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Comfortable navigating Mac and PC operating systems
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Quick learner, excited about learning to use systems in new contexts
- Able to support the following tools in multiple, pre-specified contexts. Prior experience a plus, some training will be provided: Smartsheet, Zoom, Asana, Clinical Trial Management System, Medrio, HRIS
Compensation, Location, and Hours
- This is a full-time, 40 hours a week exempt position
- Salary 80-85k. Benefits, PTO, and 401k provided
- This is a remote position that will require for you to have a suitable workspace with secure internet and reliable phone reception are required. This position requires frequent phone and internet meetings. Certain home office expenses may be reimbursed. A work computer will be provided
- We are a West Coast-based company and applicants must be available during standard business hours (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday). The exact schedule may be arranged upon hire. Occasional weekend hours may be required with advance arrangement and travel a few times a year may be required